Search This Blog

Saturday 26 May 2012

The power of electronic conversation, good or bad?

First it was e-mail, then it was mobile phones and texting and now it is Facebook and other social media. The trend to converse electronically is now more than ever, a huge part of peoples lives. When I first got an e-mail address, it was only because I was with a couple of friends who were signing up. So it was purely a convienence thing really. At that time (1989) I would have known three or four people with an e-mail address. There was no real pressure there, if you didn't check your e-mail for weeks there would be no repercussions. Not now though! Oh boy how things have changed. For the generation(s) who have been bought up with electronic messaging, it seems to be some sort of sin if for example you don't accept a friend request or play the same game of bloody bejewled thingymawhatist!

I have just read a blog titled 'no pressure blogging' and somewhat alarmingly this is what the author had to say:
But that being said…it’s really nice to not feel pressure to blog. Because quite frankly, my blog suffers when I do. Churning out posts just to have something posted every day doesn’t necessarily add to the value of a blog. Sometimes silence is golden. And quite frankly – sometimes I don’t even notice when some of my favorite bloggers take a day or two off.
Really! Well I don't feel guilty about not blogging every day... After all it's my life as Jon Bon used to say! Sadly it's not NOW OR NEVER, it's NOW NOW NOW NOW...  and if you aren't NOW you are yesterday! Stink. There is a new phenomena now with the rise of social media use, and that is electronic pressure. That's right. Even if you work, live or know people, see them every day, talk (yes a real conversation), laugh and or cry with these REAL people, you are also expected to be cyber friends. To allow all and sundry to see your private photo's, to read your comments (even if about the above people!) to somehow be a part of the greater cyber world. And for some unknown reason, the younger generations who live day to day through their computers seem the most put out if their 'friend requests' are not accepted! This is one thing. This HEY WHY DIDN"T YOU ACCEPT MY FRIEND REQUEST? sniffle... It's kind of like an extension of the screaming child who can't get the lollipop! WHYYYYYY WHAAAAAAA cry cry... What do you do? Buckle? Slap? Ignore? I just find it a bit annoying. I find it a bit of a joke, I find it a bit tiring... When someone corners you with the 'Why didn't you... friend request' blackmail. Because that's what it really is, emotional blackmail dressed in computer code. It's the same as the little screaming kid desperately trying to get the parent/ caregiver to buy them the treat. It's a quick fix. Instant gratification. And if it's not given? What happens? Well what happens in the computer world? NOTHING. It's not real! This is the end example of spending more and more time in some sort of cyber reality... A mixing of what is real and what is not, via the real (the spoken or written friend request) and what is not (the whole e-friend thing, facebook and online stuff). It is not real but it is new it is neo:

neo-
pref.
1. New; recent: Neolithic.
2.
a. New and different: neoimpressionism.
b. New and abnormal: neoplasm.
3. New World: Neotropical.
NEW... That does not make it right though. The delivery is the new part, what lies behind the cyber pressure people unwittingly use everyday is not. It is as old as humanity, it is pure and simple part of our make up whether we like it or not. Understanding these interactions might make it easier to accept those friend request... Or for some, it might not. Try it, see what happens... Just ask WHY?











10 comments:

  1. A line from the quote stands out for me, i.e. "Sometimes silence is golden". I have a couple of blogs and usually I am more than eager to keep it updated. But recently, I have found this thing called 'A Life' and have been neglecting my duties as a blog-keeper. I usually felt like I was letting down my followers but reading that quote makes me realise that it isn't the end of the world when I post on my blog. However, one can only hope to be productive when logged in to the Web and I do hope that I get more posts out soon. Yours is hilarious, by the way. Crusty....sorry, Tasty Cheese indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than some cheesy goodness on a Sunday evening.

    I suppose my views on the electronic conversation is a bit different as I have grown up in the era of technology. When I was in kindergarten we started going to the computer lab to take typing lessons. By the time 5th grade rolled around the most popular thing to do at night was chat with your friends on AOL or MSN messenger. By freshman year of high school everyone had cell phones, ipods, etc. This year my old high school gave everyone student their own iPad. (For strictly educational purposes only....however Facebook, Twitter, and games seem to be popular uses among students.) It seems as though I am of the generation that is ALWAYS plugged in. Coming to Fiji was the first time EVER that I have only gotten a certain internet credit. At home internet is cheap, unlimited, and at your disposal.

    It's a scary thought, reminds me of the movie WALL-E where everyone is so into their world of technology they forget about the real world in front of them. When we first landed in Fiji I was the first one to hit the ocean. Whereas, most of my fellow travelers were type, type, typing away. Wake up and smell the roses people. Facebook is not going anywhere anytime soon....

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Friend Request Accepted" LOL. I agree that the cyber world is sort of creeping its way into the way we live. It is a must thing now to be on Facebook or Twitter. Even if you not on these, you constantly have to check emails. In some ways it has made life much easier and convenient. It keeps people connected even if it is in the cyber world. Social media is like a personal therapist for the account holder, I say. You post something and expect people to console with you. I guess we just have to be responsible while using it. We should allocate certain time for it rather than it controlling us with notifications and what not. My major addiction at the moment is Moodle. I constantly have to check what my fellow students are discussing. This is social media in a way, but more focused on the formal part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. What you wrote is true in some ways but I think people are like A-Wall which is good or bad sometimes. I have been taught that more interaction is better that technological interaction, this generation wants mobile phones, computer, iPod, internet at home, PS2 which is my favourite... which all leads to PERSONAL PRIVACY.

    In this technological era we receive monthly, quarterly messages on PRIVACY LAW if you’re on Google than its on... Speaking from experience my Facebook account 2 actually have been deactivated and deleted so I get to see myself with A LIFE people.

    So like Katy said wake up people Facebook isn’t running anywhere sooner rather than later…Gosh I consistently check my emails than as soon as I see or read my mail…next thing is chatting online google that is …yeab babdeba doo…fresh news and lastest jargons.

    Yes technological advancement is reaching our shores in tiny gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It wouldn’t really be called a pressure to constantly blog, tweet or facebook if you are addicted to it. The question is; why do people get addicted to it? It may be, as you said, to satisfy an audience if you blog. But it is different when it comes to the social media. There are many people out there who use it to get attention. I am sure we all know of somebody who post each and every detail of their life. Some of them may even concoct strange lies. Let me also add that social media, for those who genuinely use it to for the purpose it was created for: to stay connected to friends, find it useful. I have friends on facebook that I haven’t seen in ages. I like to pop in once in a while and see what they are up to and catch up with the latest. Groups, such as our JSA group also help me keep connected and updated on the latest happenings. All in all, the advent of the internet thus the social media and emails makes our lives so much more convenient. Imagine waiting for days to get a reply!

    ReplyDelete
  7. electronic conversation...hmmmm... I don't know where i stand on this one... I am not an IN kid or part of the NOW generation so I would not know the real extensiveness of this "e" thing... personally from way back in my childhood years I played with dolls, had sleep-overs, went out for picnics and played footy with my cousins. seriously, that was most of my childhood years. I only got caught up in this tech hype when I started university and before then I only saw the use of computers for the purposes of researching assignments. Nowadays I guess there is no escaping the electronic version of life. But do take time to braeth and experience the life that is happening around us, don't get so caught up...

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The trend to converse electronically is now more than ever" should be "The trend now is to converse electronically more." Why run the first four words of that block quote? Photo's should be photos. Why all the white space at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  9. First point, correct, thank you. Second point, I copied and pasted as was with nil tech/designer input, sorry about that. Thirdly, again, thank you. Fourth, I'll fill any remaining white space (although I prefer sepia tone-easier on the eyes) in the future with more words. Actually I have no idea why there is so much space at the end there, but I have a theory that the blog gremlin might be involved! I'll set a mongoose onto it if I find it.

    ReplyDelete